top of page

Could you be eligible for the marriage allowance?

Did you know that you can transfer up to 10% of your personal allowance to your married/civil partner. This means that up to £1,250 can be transferred to the partner that earns more - upping their personal allowance and helping them to reduce the tax that they pay.

So who is eligible?

Are you married or in a civil partnership.

One of you earns less then the personal allowance so is not liable to tax.

You were born after 1935.

If you meet this criteria you can apply via HMRC, the person with the lowest income must make the claim, it can sometimes take up to 2 months for the changes to come into affect, so it's worth applying as soon as possible.

If you want to know more, we would advise checking out the HMRC website, which offers comprehensive advice.

The information featured in this article is for guidance only, no liability is accepted for the opinions it contains.

Marriage Allowance


bottom of page